Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 85

Since we moved into our house, a little over a year ago, our power has never gone out. That is, until last night, when the temperature dipped into the mid-20's, and we had no heat for at least six hours. Needless to say, we were quite unprepared for the whole fiasco. Today I am making a list of things we would need if the power were to be out for more than just one night. A generator would be fantastic, but one that could power our house would cost at least $2,000. Solar panels? I would love to install some, but again, the cost is rather high. So! More lanterns like the one shown, guaranteed to last for days and days. Candles. Something with which to heat water. A space heater that uses something other than electricity. My brain is a little fuzzy this morning due to lack of sleep. I will work on my list some more later.
I have learned a few things. 1. It can always happen to you! 2. Don't ever be smug about the place that you live, because life just loves to get twisty. 3. Be prepared for anything. Especially when you have small children who are afraid of the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment