Friday, December 4, 2015

Day 339

This is one of my favorite humans in the whole world.  He hadn't played for a very long time... Maybe since his wife's death. Today, I said to him, "I polished the piano, you should see how it sounds now." I was sorta kidding, but also hopeful. He said, "I should sometime." 
I replied, "Why not now? Just play!"
So, he did. And it was beautiful. I knew from prior conversations that he gets shy when he knows someone is watching him play, so I quietly acted busy, dusting even though I'd already dusted (and polished!) that room. 
And he played and played and when he finished he was shining. He thanked me too many times for "helping him play", and he said that the courage he's seen in me is what gave him the courage to play today. 
I feel like the luckiest person in the world to have the jobs that I have, and the people that come with them. My surrogate grandparents.  They love me, and I love them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment