Monday, March 9, 2015

Day 68

I was wandering the woods behind my house, near the Indian Mounds yesterday, like I often do, looking for "treasure" with which to use in my art.  Usually, the treasures I find are bones or bits of broken glass or rusted things...but yesterday, following a creek bed, I glimpsed something shining in the mud.  I picked up what appeared to be a heavy gold ring, and stuffed it into my satchel with the rest of my finds. 
Upon returning home, I washed the ring, and saw that it was a 1972 class ring from Florida High!  Inside the band was the maker's stamp, and "10k"... I couldn't see any initials at first, because they were slightly tarnished and very light.  
I took photos of the ring at all angles, and put them on Facebook - my own page, Tallahaasee Online Yardsale, and some Florida High alumni groups.  Several people asked about initials, so I looked more closely at the inner band, and made out what appeared to be the letter M (or W, depending on which way I looked at it).  I decided to try scrubbing the inner band with baking soda, and like magic, the other letters appeared!  DMC. 
I passed on the initials in a private message to one of the '72 alumni, and within an hour, we had the name of the possible owner of the ring! 
I am not great at finding people on Facebook, and so I asked my friends for help.  Within minutes, I received a text message with a link to reunion dot com, where this fellow's name and phone numbers were listed.  
Taking a deep breath, I called the first number.  I wasn't prepared with a spiel, and rather bluntly, with no introduction, asked, "Did you lose your class ring?" before even asking the name of the person I'd called!  He hesitated, and then said, "No, I don't think so..." and we bid farewell.  
I dialed the next number on my list, and the same gentleman answered.  Before I could say anything, he began to speak.  "When you called me on my landline, you caught me by surprise!  I did lose my class ring, but it was about 30 years ago." 
I replied, "Could you tell me your middle initial?"  "M."
I asked the color of the stone that was in his ring, and he said, "It was red, from what I can remember..." 
I shrieked in the poor guy's ear, and exclaimed, "I HAVE YOUR RING!!" 
He asked me, "You're not looking for some kind of reward or anything, are you?" and I said, "No!!!!! I'm just so happy to have found you!!"
He sounded stunned and then appreciative, and I gave him my address and phone number.  He will come to collect his long lost ring when he comes into Tallahassee next time.  
Hooray for social media, the internet in general, and friends and strangers who cared enough to help find him!

No comments:

Post a Comment